With a thrilling and enchanting locales, Dalhousie has an interesting historical story to explore. Being under the rule of the British Raj for a long time, you can still find the remnants of that era.
Situated at a height of around 8000 feet, Dalhousie is one of the popular holiday destinations in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Quite a prominent spot amongst tourists from all corners of the country due to its old world appeal and beautiful surroundings, let’s take a look at some of the best places to visit in the town.
If you’re planning for a tour of this amazing hill station, you can opt for a Dalhousie holiday package which includes a tour to the best places to visit in the town. Here are some of them which you can explore.
1. Markets – The majority of shops in Dalhousie are located around the Gandhi Chowk area. If you’re good in bargaining you can find some of amazing deals on local items. You can see street hawkers selling everything from rugs, carpets to typical Tibetan junk jewellery. In case you’re searching for something more arty, do stop by the Tibetan Handicrafts Center and Himachal Handicrafts Emporium which are stocked with some perfectly made handicrafts and other antiques.
2. Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary – Situated about 9 kilometers from Gandhi Chowk, Kala Top’s thick deodar cover is a perfect place to hide an array of flora and fauna, including some rare species too. Don’t forget to carry your binoculars for some bird watching, and who knows you can spot a chestnut billed rock thrush! As you move deep into the jungle, animal sightings gets difficult, however, you can still manage to spot langurs and deers without breaking a sweat. It could take about 6 hours to explore this wildlife haven.
3. St. John’s Church – This beautiful church in the town takes you back to the Victorian era. Known as the first religious site to be established in the town, it was established in in the late 1800s. Inside the Church, you can find a library with a rich collection of books and rare photos representing the history of Dalhousie.
4. St. Francis Church – Built more than a century ago, the St. Francis Church is one of the eminent and old pieces of historical architectural prowess. With a flawless Victorian architecture, the Saint Francis Church is popular for its color stained glasses and mind boggling wooden roof. Surrounded with a hilltop garden, and open to visitors till seven at night, the Saint Francis Church is great place enjoy a Sunday mass and attracts a ton of guests. It is encompassed by towering pines and is offers a great vantage point overlooking the whole town. You can also visit the houses, adjacent the church complex which is used by the church clerics.
5. Dainkund Peak – If you’re up for a refreshing walk and a breathtaking view, the Dainkund Peak is the place to be. Being the most astounding mountain top in the area, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the whole valley. The street enroute to the top is adorned with flower blossoms on either sides, which is a real treat to eyes.