We all look for cooler, if not greener pastures, when the Indian heat strikes during the summer months. The Indian summers provide us with the ideal excuse of packing our bags and paying a visit to the hill stations. If you are wondering which hill station to visit this year, then our suggestion would be to try out Ranikhet.
Here’s a little history of Ranikhet and its establishment, to provide a more comprehensive idea about this place. Covering an area of about 21.76sqkms, this hill station once used to be a summer getaway for the British colonizers. It was during the year 1869 that the Kumaon Regiment’s headquarter was set up here, in the midst of the Himalayas. It was primarily done so that the colonizers could get a respite from the blaring equatorial heat. Since then Ranikhet has served as the ideal hill station though it still remains unexplored in terms of a tourist destination. That, however, does not imply that there are no proper hotels to stay. Resorts and hotels in ranikhet abound in plenty with comfortable arrangements, so that you do not face any accommodation problems.
There are five things that you must try out when you are visiting Ranikhet. Here’s a broad guideline for you to get a basic idea upon which you can explore further:
- Trekking: The most popular and favoured activity to take part in this hill station is, of course, trekking. The benefits of trekking are that it is a good exercise plus you get to breathe in the fresh, pollution-free air. You can opt for light treks, that is, which are not too strenuous and cover a little distance. If you wish to go on a long trek, then go for the trek to Kausani in which you will be covering around 75kms.
- Mountain biking: If you feel that you are not in for the long walks that trekking demands but wish to enjoy the fresh mountain breeze, anyway, then the best option for you would be to opt for mountain biking.
- Golfing: Ranikhet is famous for its huge spread out golf course. It is a golf course of nine holes. Golfing requires a suitable temperature. The summer temperature ranges between 10 degree centigrade (min) and 35 degree centigrade (max). The winter temperature is more pleasant, ranging between 2 degree centigrade and 8 degree centigrade. So you can try out golfing here at all times. The golf course has been placed in such a way that you get a panoramic view of the Himalayan ranges whenever you need a break from the game.
- Rock climbing: If you are the outdoorsy type and have done rock climbing before, then you can also try it out in this mountainous terrain. Do not forget to go rock climbing without professional supervision.
- Picnics: Not a big fan of trekking or biking? Want to enjoy a family activity? Then go for picnics. If you are staying at a resort in the main town area, then it would not be a problem either since there are many picnic spots like the Ashiyana Park in nearby areas.
Don’t these activities sound exciting? So, what are you waiting for! Book your tickets and start making arrangement for your stay at the best resort in Ranikhet now!