Emerge the backwaters of Kerala, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary is really a heaven for ornithologists positioned in Kumarakom of Kottayam district in Gods own Country Kerala. Also called Vembanad Bird Sanctuary, it’s home to a number of the extremely rare species of birds festooned with astounding sites and captivating lakes to behold your attention. Extended over a place of 14 acres kinds of vivid birds could be spotted in this paradise at any given time.
History: The annals with this protection center that has been earlier called Baker’s Estate dates back once again to 1847 whenever a foreigner named Alfred George Baker commenced developing the wetlands near Vembanad Lake right into a lush land. He was granted with 500 acres of land where he planted mangroves in 10 acres and then left the area alone for its growth. Soon, kinds of local and migratory birds started initially to espouse this thriving land as their native and the others is history. Thus, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary was formed with the increment of well wishers who’re still praising and visitors who’re attending this devote abundant number.
Birds: A number of the common birds which is often spotted easily in this protected heaven include night herons, golden-backed woodpeckers, egrets, kingfishers, cuckoo, paradise flycatchers, owl, water fowl, cormorant, moorhen, duck, Brahminy kite and many more. Migratory birds from places like Siberia (Siberian crane, Siberian stork) could be spotted in this place rendering it crowded through the entire year. Birds like teal, parrot, wood beetle, flycatcher, darter and lark also is seen throughout their respective migratory season in this place.
Motorboats and houseboats can be found on lease for watching the bird while voyaging in the lake. Placed within the verdant acres of land, each and every bird is likely to be doing their finest to impress you making use of their birdie skills. Witnessing numerous birds inside their native home is actually a great experience and to generally share these moments together with your family members adds extra little joy in your life.
- Location: Kumarakom, Kottayam district, Kerala, india.
- Connectivity: Kottayam is 16 km out of this heavenly paradise; it is simple to hire a taxi/auto or can get on a shuttle to achieve this place. It’s connected to all or any the major cities nearby.
- Best time: Dawn is fantastic for bird watching.
- Best time for you to Visit: For best bird watching June and August and for watching the migratory birds November to February is the greatest time.
- Open days: All days
- Visit Timings: Morning 6 a.m. to evening 6 p.m.
- Last entry time: 3:30 p.m.
- Amount of Visit: 2 to 3 hours
- Dressing Restrictions: Don’t wear flamboyant dress that may catch a person’s eye of a bird thus causing your harm. Dress decently.
- Enjoyed by: Nature lovers, bird watchers, photo fanatics, backpackers, families, kids etc
- Top Attractions: Migratory birds like Siberian crane, Siberian stork, Himalayan birds and plenty of colorful local birds.
- Entry Fee: No entry fee is needed
- Facilities: Video/camera is allowed, food and accommodation facilities available away from sanctuary. A choice of eating in the sanctuary is limited.
- Things banned: Pets are banned in the sanctuary, littering and any difficulty that may cause problem to the eco-system and the birds.
- Note: Don’t forget to transport snacks and bottle of water with you.